Frequently Asked Questions

AIC makes every effort to keep educational costs to students as low as possible. Student fees pay only a portion of the College's operating expenses each year. Supporting districts, churches, interested groups, and hundreds of individuals subsidize the operating budget of the College. This represents a sizable investment in every student's education. While the College depends largely on outside financial support, students must meet some educational costs.
1What is AIC’s FAFSA School Code?
AIC’s FAFSA School Code is 015550. You can complete your FAFSA online at
2How can I contact financial aid?
Email, • Phone, 602-944-3335
3What is financial aid?
Financial Aid is money in the form of grants, scholarships, work-study, loans, educational tax credits or a benefit from completing community service or military service to help students pay for education after high school.
4Who provides financial aid?
A major source of student aid is the U.S. Department of Education. For students who are Native American the Bureau of Indian Affairs and various Tribal agencies offer Tribal Higher Education Grants. Other public and private sources like clubs and organizations, banks and employers also offer money to help you pay for college. In addition, AIC makes a major commitment to its students by providing various types of institutional assistance.
5How do I get financial aid?
File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid — and do it as early as possible. (Jan. 1 is the earliest day you can file the FAFSA for each academic year.) It’s good to file the FAFSA based on a completed tax return. However, it’s far better to file the FAFSA early with estimates than later with exact figures. If you won’t have your taxes done by early February, estimate.
6What's the difference in merit aid and need-based aid?
Merit aid is based on merit, such as academics, music, etc. A lot of scholarships are merit-based. Need-based aid depends on how much aid you need and how much you and your family can afford to contribute toward your education.
7What is financial need?
Financial need is the difference between what it costs to attend school and what the family can reasonably be expected to contribute toward the cost of attendance.
8What is included in the cost of attendance?
College expenses include fixed costs such as tuition, fees, room & board and personal expenses such as books and supplies, transportation, off-campus room & board, and miscellaneous personal expenses. The Department of Education requires that each college prepare 9- Month Cost of Living Budgets based on average costs of its students living at home with parents, on-campus housing, and off-campus. These Cost of Attendance budgets are adjusted depending on the number of semesters enrolled and the enrollment status (full time, 3/4 time, and 1/2 time). Your actual fixed expenses for tuition, fees, room & board depend on the tuition pricing plan you choose and whether you live on campus or off campus. Please refer to a current price list of charges to determine what your actual charges will be. Contact the AIC Financial Aid Office if you need help in projecting your costs.
9How is the expected family contribution (EFC) calculated?
Your EFC is calculated using a standard Congressional formula. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid collects the information such as family size, number in college, whether you are a dependent or independent or parents, and you and your family's income and assets. This information is used to determine what the family can reasonably be expected to contribute toward your education.
10How do I know if I am dependent or independent?
For the 2013-2014 school year, the United States Department of Education determines that you are independent of your parents if: You were born before January 1, 1990, or you are an orphan; are a ward of the court or were until the age of 18; are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces; have legal dependents other than a spouse; will be enrolled in a graduate school in 2013-2014; are married; or can prove to the school unusual circumstances that show independent status.
11Will I get more financial aid if I am “independent” of my parents?
Not necessarily. Sometimes you’ll get less.
12Is aid available if I already have a bachelor's degree?
Federal grants are not available once you obtain your first bachelor's degree. Loans and work-study are the main types of aid available to students with bachelor's degrees. Additionally, some students may qualify for Institutional Scholarships.
13Is aid available to international students?
Federal and state aid is available to citizens and Permanent Resident Aliens but not for students on a Student Visa.
14Do I have to be seeking a degree to get financial aid?
Yes, you must be seeking a degree at AIC to receive Financial Aid.
15Can I receive aid from two schools at once?
You may be enrolled at two schools simultaneously, but you can receive government aid at only one school at a time. You must apply for aid at the school in which you are actually seeking the degree.
16Where can I get more information about financial aid?
There are a lot of great web sites with excellent information.